Careers at H/L
Careers at H/L
VC Operations Internship
LocationNew York, NY
H/L Ventures is seeking an enthusiastic, innovative, dedicated, and mature VC Operations Intern to join our family. This is a paid, part-time position.
About H/L Ventures
H/L Ventures helps mission-driven founders build inspiring, valuable companies from inception to exit. We believe that high returns and high impact are directly linked and our diverse group of founders share that ethos. Our powerful venture studio model supports our companies with daily active engagement, expertise, access, and capital throughout their entrepreneurial journey. We are based in New York City and founded in 2009 and have a track record of growing successful start-ups across many industries. We are committed to a culture of integrity, excellence, and hard work.
H/L Ventures works with companies from co-founding onward, using different vehicles. At our H/L Studio, we start early, ranging from co-founding to just before a Series A. For companies at Series A and later, the opportunity goes to our CityRock Ventures fund, which invests in both our studio companies as they grow and in new companies that we meet at a later stage. Regardless of entry point, we provide holistic, relevant support through every stage of growth.
H/L seeks an enthusiastic, dedicated, and mature Fund Operations Intern to join our family. This is a paid, part-time position. We are looking for a professional with a passion for venture capital, social impact, company-building and getting into the weeds on fund performance and operations. The primary activities for the Fund Operations Intern are to assist H/L’s operations team with 1) valuation of all portfolios within the firm, 2) day-to-day fund administration, 3) tracking and closing transactions, and 4) supporting the raising of our newest fund. This role has a focus on internal fund accounting and investor reporting and is ideally suited for someone with strong quantitative skills, preferably with a background in finance or accounting, who is interested in learning more about the ins and outs of fund reporting, investor relations and portfolio management.
H/L is building a new model for venture, and our Fund Operations Intern will be a crucial part of our team, based in New York City.
Areas of responsibilities: Portfolio evaluation, fund accounting and management
- Assisting with managing a high volume of deal transactions
- Assisting the operations team in compiling and performing quarterly fund valuations and analysis across all H/L Ventures funds
- Helping build interactive and real time fund accounting models and deal structure analysis
- Assisting in projects, analysis, and other value-add work for existing portfolio companies
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a number of important characteristics,
- Passion for positive social impact; deep sense of integrity and exceptional judgment.
- Exhibit a high degree of professionalism and discretion, including situation-appropriate work and communication style.
- Hard-Working. Possessing a strong work ethic, responsive, and detailed. Stays until the job is done.
- Helpful can-do attitude as a mature team player; strong ability to build and curate relationships and trust; do-any-job attitude.
- Confident, with the ability to work flexibly and autonomously in an open-ended, self-directed work culture, especially given H/L’s compact team and relatively unstructured office environment.
- Detail oriented. High attention to detail, fixated on ensuring that work is high quality.
- Critical Thinker. Creative, intellectually curious, analytical, and truly engaged by difficult questions and new models.
- Advanced organization and multitasking skills, allowing effective prioritization and meeting deadlines without fail.
- Possessing strong communications skills (written, verbal, and interpersonal), especially as the Intern will often be talking to entrepreneurs and stakeholders on behalf of the firm.
- Technically-Adept. Possessing exceptionally strong quantitative skills, particularly in accounting and financial modeling and highly proficient in Excel
- Academically Qualified. Excellent academic performance; at least a Bachelor’s Degree. Candidates currently pursuing an MBA are preferred.
Interested candidates should send an email to H/L’s Vice President of Platform, Galina Ozgur, at email@example.com. In the subject line of your email, please note: “[FIRST NAME-LAST NAME] VC Operations Intern” and include:
- Your LinkedIn Profile and Resume
- A brief description about you and why you’re interested in the role
Thank you for applying!
LocationNew York, NY
H/L Ventures seeks an enthusiastic, innovative, and dedicated Platform Intern to join our team, working with and reporting directly to H/L’s Vice President of Platform. At H/L Ventures, Platform Internship activities touch a variety of areas, including but not limited to community building, platform tools, analyzing and exploring new business lines, research and analysis, events, content and marketing, and data entry, which is absolutely essential to our process.
The Platform Intern will be wearing many hats and will be helping to manage multiple projects.
- The engagement of several distinct yet interconnected groups and communities (Portfolio Team, Founders, Venture Partners, Trusted Partner Network, Service Providers, among others), through virtual and in-person events (the latter taking place only where appropriate, safe, and fully compliant with COVID-19 guidelines);
- Tools, resources, and processes that guide these groups and communities (including research and providing fulsome analysis on new findings), including community building tools, portfolio management tools (we use AirTable), productivity management tools (our Portfolio Dashboard – also on AirTable), Founder Portal and Resources, surveys, intake forms, and more.
- Our visibility, including but not limited to managing and keeping updated our job board and talent network, managing our soon-to-be-launched Founder Portal, keeping tabs on our web presence, and other projects on our roadmap, such as our newsletter launch.
Examples of projects:
- Design a newsletter for our Venture Partner and Founder communities.
- Redesign our NPS survey for the Founder community.
- Coordinate our Leaders in Venture dinner series and Founders Night series.
- Help populate our database of Trusted Partner Resources for the Founder Portal (on AirTable).
- Help launch other founder-facing tools, surveys, systems, as needed.
- Trustworthy. Deep sense of integrity and exceptionally good judgment.
- Committed. Passion for positive social impact in a strong innovation sector; devoted to
innovation and entrepreneurship; exhibiting a desire to work hard in a start-up
- Technically-Adept. Comfortable with Microsoft Office Suite (including Office, Outlook,
PowerPoint, and Excel), Google Suite, currently working with OR researching tools like AirTable, Notion.so, Zapier, CRM tools, data entry/ form tools (Typeform), content platforms such as Substack, survey tools like SurveyMonkey.
- Infinitely Curious and Product experience focused. Motivated by the drive to learn more, research more, and test assumptions. Finds joy in reading Product Hunt.
- Academically Qualified. Excellent academic performance;
- Hard-Working. Possessing a strong work ethic, responsive, and attentive to detail. Stays
until the job is done;
- Professional. Exhibit a high degree of professionalism and discretion, including situation appropriate work and communication style.
- Positive. Helpful can-do attitude; strong ability to build and curate relationships and trust; do-any-job attitude;
- Proactive. Confident, with the ability to work flexibly and autonomously in an open ended,
self-directed work culture.
- Organized. Advanced organization and multitasking skills, allowing effective prioritization and meeting deadlines without fail.
- Detailed. Ability to produce well-designed, professional products in Microsoft Word and
- Communicative. Possessing extraordinary communications skills, including written, verbal,
- Additional Helpful Qualifications. Helpful if the candidate has some experience in the
The Platform Intern will have an opportunity to attend portfolio update calls, Venture Partner and All-Hands calls, networking events, etc.
This is a unique opportunity for an intern to get a holistic view of the role Platform plays in the VC and startup ecosystem, get educated on all aspects of VC firm processes and actively contribute. This is a paid internship.
To apply for this position, please email H/L’s Vice President of Platform, Galina Ozgur, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the subject line of your email, please note: “[FIRST NAME-LAST NAME] Platform Internship”.